Saturday, August 14, 2010

Their Eyes Were Watching God- My Thoughts

I really enjoyed reading Their Eyes Were Watching God. I think that this book was probably my favorite book of the summer, and the one that I understood the most. I liked seeing how people lived right after the end of slavery, and how African Americans lived then. Different races back then was kind of a bigger deal. I also liked seeing how some things back then are still the same now. For instance; when Janie's first and second marriages did not work out, it seemed like she had a new guy right when it was over. It did not take very long for her to fall in love with another guy. I did not like some things in the book. There were also things that you saw reading this book, that are a lot different now. An example of a big difference is, woman were treated a lot different back then, and money was also very different. Woman were supposed to stay more at home and do the work that needed to be done there. They were also supposed to listen to what the men told them to do, and would get in trouble if they did not. Woman now go out and work, and they also have a lot more freedom it seems like. Money was also valued a lot more back then it seemed like to me while reading Their Eyes Were Watching God. Money lasted a lot longer because everything was cheaper. Also, money meant a lot more to people then, and they were a little tighter with their money. I would really encourage people to read this book, because we need to see how things were back then, and also see how different races and your sex got treated differently. I think it is important to learn different ages, and now how it could of been for us if we lived back then, and also how lucky we are to be able to live in the time we do now. I would definately read this book again, and I am glad it was one that we got to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment