Sunday, August 15, 2010

Grapes of Wrath- How It Was Then

The Grapes of Wrath took place during the early 1900s, just like the book Their Eyes Were Watching God that we read. The Grapes of Wrath was pretty much a book on the years of slavery before the Civil War. The time period in this book was one that American will remember forever. The novel showed us just how it was during the Great Depression. It was a pretty horrific time then. A lot of things when on that affected America forever, and we never want to go through what we did then, again. This book was actually kind of sad to me when I thought about it. It was sad to see the main family in this book, the Joads, go through what they had to go through. They first had to move from their home to their uncle’s home to stay, because people were taking over their home. Then they had to totally move away from everything and everyone they knew in Oklahoma, to California. The reason they moved away during the Great Depression, was to find jobs. They could not find anything where they live, and to survive they knew they would have to have a job. The Great Depression was something we never want to happen again. It would be sad for anyone and their families to have to move away. When I was reading The Grapes of Wrath, I realized just how bad it was back then. I can only imagine what that was like. I liked reading this book, though. When reading this book, it really made me open my eyes. I never really knew just how bad it was to be alive during that time. People who did not have money would lose everything. I enjoyed reading this book, because I think it is good for us to not only learn what happened back then, but to see it and really picture what families went through. The Great Depression will affect us forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment