Sunday, August 22, 2010

Their Eyes Were Watching God- As the Reader

Their Eyes Were Watching God was my favorite book out of the three that I had to read over the summer. I liked seeing some of the things that happened after the Civil War, the slavery, and I also liked seeing he different things that went on during that time. Janie went through a lot with her family like not having her mom when she was born, being raised by her grandmother, and also being raised as an African American in that time. Her grandmother, Nannie Crawford, taught her a lot from all of the things that she went through while being a slave. It was sad to see Janie go through her first marriage with Logan Killicks who did not treat her good at all. Then, she got married to Joe Starks. I really liked Joe, and I thought he was a great guy. He was so good to her, but then he became the mayor, and after awhile it all got to him and he got a little cocky and started treating Janie wrong. He ended up passing away and Janie got married to a guy named Tea Cake. Tea Cake was the love of her life. He was always good to her, and they taught us how a relationship should really be. They never got sick of each other, always treated each other good, and stuck together. It was sad, as the reader, to see that Janie had to kill Tea Cake in self defense because of his mad dog disease. I wish it would have not had to end that way. I really loved this book, and never got bored reading it. Once again, Their Eyes Were Watching God was definetaly my favorite book of the summer. I liked learning how the African Americans were treated in that time, and seeing how different it was for them then, than it was now. I really liked learning all about the early nineteen hundreds.

No comments:

Post a Comment