Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Old Man and the Sea- As the Reader

The Old Man and the Sea, was really a pretty good book in my eyes. There was not anthing that I did not like about this book. It was a very well written book, I would have to say. I liked all of the things that this book represents. One of the things it represented that I really liked was relationships. The Old Man and the Sea showed us how to get good relationships and to take care of them, so you would have them forever. Santiago had a relationship with Manolin was one that was never going to be broke. They were best friends and were really good to each other. They always took care of each other. The other thing that I loved that this book represented well was it's religious similiarities. A lot of things that happened in this book were supposed to represent some of those things that Christ went through himself. The whole time that Santiago was fishing, things happen to him that symbolized some of the things that God went through on the cross. For instance, when Santiago cut his hand while trying to fight his fish, Santiago let yells out like Christ did on the cross, and Santiago did not have much energy when he got back home and collapsed on his bed. All of these symbolized Christ and when he got hurt, and his walk to Calvary that was unbearable for him. I thought that was pretty cool that they had something like those symbols in a book like this. I really enjoyed this book. I actually liked all the books we had to read. I liked how The Old Man and the Sea always was interesting, and I liked how Santiago was tired and never gave up when he was fighting for his fish. That really showed us that we should never give up. This book really taught us a lot, and we really could learn from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment