Monday, January 31, 2011

Define Regionalism

Regionalism is a word that you think would be pretty easy to define, and it is. I think the first word that pops into your mind when it comes to the definition is region, and when you look up the definition you find that region is said in the definition. Regionalism was in an era following the civil war ("Regionalism" 487). I believe that the reason regionalism writings started was because they were trying to write about all of the different locations that were in the civil war and be able to picture those very well. Also, I think they wanted to show in a very detailed way all of the regions that might have got affected by the civil war. The American writers would concentrate on characteristics, local color, or a particular region of the country. The writers attempted to show the landscape, customs, speech, and other culture details of that chosen or their chosen region ("Regionalism" 487). Regionalism is different from naturalism and realism, because it deals with a specific region or place, and really describes that place.When I break down this definition I really feel like i understand regionalism the best. These writers pick out a region or certain landscape that they like and they write about it. They talk about the different colors, customs, speech, and even cultures in that certain area. I know from reading these definitions from regionalism experts, that regionalism writers are very graphic in their writings and give details about all of the little things. I like this type of writing style, because I like to know all of the little details. Sometimes the little details are very important, and regionalism writers know that. Out of the three words that we had to define, regionalism, realism, and naturalism, I thought regionalism was my favorite. I think it was one of the best to write about, and I think its one that I would relate to the most, because I am a very graphic and detailed person.

"Regionalism and Realism." Glencoe Literature. Comp. Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, Douglas FIsher, Beverly A. Chin, and Jacqueline J. Royster. American Literature ed. Coulmbus: McGraw-Hill, 2009. 487. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment