Thursday, October 14, 2010

Critisizing the Autobiography on Benjamin Franklin Criticism

J. A. Leo Lemay's writing style was very interesting to me. I was kind of confused while reading it, just because he had such a hard writing style to read. I thought it was a very complex writing style, and even though it was hard to read at first, I got the hang of it and ended up kind of liking the criticism. J. A. Leo Lemay had a lot to say, and he really seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

The first point that I really liked about reading Lemay's criticism was where it said, "the Autobiography is the rise from impotence to importance, dependence to independence, from helplessness to power". (Lemay) I liked this sentence, because it shows how we change as humans, and take big steps that are really important and make us more mature people. I think this meaning meant something to me too. I think it shows you that we need to do things like we are important and do them to the fullest, we also need to be independent and as we get older not rely on people as much as we always do, and last i think it shows us that we need to not be helpless and work with as much power as possible. I think Franklin wanted us to be independent and confident people. I thought Lemay did good by bringing up this point to us, and it was definitely a big point that Franklin was trying to get across in my eyes.

Another point that Lemay brought up in his criticism that I loved was, "it holds that the world can be affected and changed by individuals". (Lemay) I really like this, and to me this means that everyone can make an impact on everybody. I think this is great, because you can make impact no matter what your gender, race, age, or beliefs. I think anyone can make and impact on anyone, and I know that Franklin always tried to get that point across.

The last, and one of the most important points that I really liked was, "God helps those who help themselves". (Lemay) Lemay had this in his criticism, but it does not necessarily go with Franklin's autobiography, because Franklin was a rationalist. He did not ever talk about God, like the Puritans. I think this is still a really good point, though. God does not always help you when you ask him. You can not just expect him to help you with everything if you are not able to help yourself. You can not always blame God when something goes wrong.

I really liked Lemay's criticism. I think he really had some good words. He really broke down the autobiography well, and helped us understand it more. At first, the criticism was just making it more confusing, but then when you understood his writing style it was really interesting. I really thought there was really affecting points, and one that you should bring into your own life. I was glad I got to read a criticism like that, and it really made it more on my level.

Lemay, J.A. Leo. "Franklin's Autobiography and the American Dream." In The Renaissance Man in the Eighteenth Century. Los Angeles: William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, 1978. Quoted as "Franklin's Autobiography and the American Dream." in Bloom, Harold, ed. The American Dream, Bloom's Literary Themes. New York: Chelsea Publishing House, 2009. Bloom's Literary Reference Online. Facts On File, Inc. http://www.fofweb.com/activelink2.asp?ItemID=WE54&SID=1&iPin=BLTTAD005&SingleRecord=True (accessed October 14, 2010).

1 comment:

  1. Nice analysis of Lemay's essay. Good examples for support.

    Franklin did write about God in his autobiography. Keep in mind that the Rationalists were not anti-God. They typically believed that God set up the universe and gave humans the ability to reason (to determine right from wrong) - Deism. Most people were still spiritual during that period. They took control of their personal values rather than letting a church tell them how to live their lives as the previous generations did.

    ReplyDelete