Monday, November 15, 2010

Thoreau's Walden

I think that Walden by Thoreau was a great story. Thoreau as we all know was a writer that was all about nature. He was always writing about nature. There are really not many writings that he did not talk about nature in. He would compare anything that was going on in his life or the life of others with nature. He made things into something like a metaphor to do with nature, because that was what made the most since to him. Thoreau was big on tying together things around us, civilization, to that of nature in ways that we would not all think would be normal, but that was the way that he liked to do things, and what clicked to him. He did a lot of this in his story about Walden Pond. Thoreau went for awhile at this pond, and got rid of all of his attachments. He did not just get rid of physical attachments, but also social and intellectual attachments. I think that this was probably tough for him, but not as tough as it would be for us. I love nature and all that goes along with it, but I do not think I love it as much as Thoreau. He probably enjoyed going away like this somewhere in nature, and not have to worry about a single thing. I think that in doing this he was trying to find out what he was really supposed to be doing here on Earth, and what his purpose as human being really was. I think that he got a little carried away with some things and his ideas would become a little complex, but he still brought out some good points. I think the main purpose for the story Walden was just to let people know how we need to take a break on the wordly things sometimes. I think that we think we can not live with out some things sometimes, when the truth is we really can. We do not have to have things like cellphones or computers twenty- four seven. I think that he wrote this to show us all that we can and need to take breaks like this every once in awhile. I think it would help us clear our thoughts and realize what our soul purpose is.

No comments:

Post a Comment