Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Journal #21- Discuss Reflections

The works in Emerson's Self Reliance are some what similar to that of the works of Franklin. I think that they were the most similar because they were both very confident in themselves and others and they also always believed in people. I think that they both tried to make people happy a lot. They think that they should try to make up for the bad things that they might have done with a lot of good things. I think that they thought if they were a better person and a good example to others, that others would want to be like them. I think that they were worried about being a good example to others, and being remembered forever. As you can tell, they did it all right because we are still talking about them. We still talk about all of the things that they have both done that still affect us now. They both had quotes that we still remember today. I think they are different because of their romanticism views. They both believed in it at the beginning, but that actually ended up changing. Emerson wrote about romanticism and some of his stories were based on romanticism, but he ended up rejecting it in the later years of his writings. Benjamin Franklin always was for romanticism, and that is what his writings and also a lot of his life was based on. I think that they were pretty much similar writers.

I liked writing a reflection on Emerson because he was kind of a creative guy. I liked how he was worried about having good relationships. I think that relationships are important in life. We should focus on having those people that we can count on at all times. I did not necessarily like how he said that we should do a lot of good to make up for our bad. I do not think that we can make up for our mistakes, I think that we can be forgiven though. I think that we should not try to make up for the bad, but just learn from our mistakes. So, I did agree with them a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment