Thursday, April 7, 2011

Job Shadowing :)

Job shadowing was really a great experience for me. I really had a great time, and was very happy that I got to do it.

I job shadowed at the veterinary clinic in Petersburg. I job shadowed Dr. O' Brien and Dr. Stout that day. I really liked Dr. O' Brien, and watching him for a day really taught me a lot. I started out the day with going out on call with Dr. O' Brien. We went out to a horse farm and I saw things that will really help me in my future. I got to see him do things that not all kids get to see before going into vet school, so I really enjoyed being able to see it. After we got back to the office I saw a really cool dog surgery. I will not go into detail, but the dog was all opened up and getting part of his spleen removed. I was happy to be able to even see something like this. I was talking to Dr. O' Brien and he said that I would not even get to see something like that in Vet School, so being able to see him do it is good. I also got to see a lot of little things that all added up to a lot. I saw three animals be put down, and I saw little things like animals coming in for a simple check up. I experienced a lot that day that taught me a little of what I would have to be doing when I started working in the veterinarian field.

Job shadowing at the Petersburg Veterinary Clinic was really a great experience, and it really just made me want to be a veterinarian that much more. I knew I wanted to be a veterinarian, but actually seeing Dr. O' Brien work made me want to have something just like him when I was older. I think that this will also be something that I would enjoy doing the rest of my life. I get a lot of experience from owning my own animals that will help me when I become a veterinarian, and experiences that will put me ahead of most kids going into veterinarian school. I even liked the Petersburg Clinic so much that I sent in an application to work there. I can not wait to be able to reach my dream of becoming a vet, and I am glad that our school offers this job shadowing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment