Friday, April 15, 2011

Reflection: Analysis of a Dickinson Poem

I did not mind analyzing any of Emily Dickinson's poems. I like her poems, because they seem to relate to that of all the stories that can go along in a young woman's life, or any age for that matter. I think she reminds me a lot of Taylor Swift, because she writes her poems on things that are going on in her life. She does not try to get around anything, she just says it how it is and lets it all out. I really liked reading her poems. I decided to pick the poem called He Touched Me, So I Live To Know. Honestly, I just picked it because it caught my eye and it seemed interesting to me.

He touched me, so I live to know
That such a day, permitted so,
I groped upon his breast --
It was a boundless place to me
And silenced, as the awful sea
Puts minor streams to rest.

I think the first stanza is the most important one. I think she is talking about a guy here. I think that she was in love with this man, and dreams about him a lot. At this moment she was talking about, he somehow touched her and she can not stop thinking about that moment. She can not wait for the day to come again that he is hers, and she gets to touch him and his breast anytime she wants. I think she is thinking when she gets to be with this man it will be the end of worries, and when she is with him she will not think of anything other than what is going on with him.

And now, I'm different from before is the phrase that starts the second stanza. I think that she thinks that she is a totally different person that what she was before now that she has this dream guy. She thinks that she has changed her. I think she is obsessed with this dream guy in the poem, and wants to be with him all of the time.

I think this poem is a good poem, and one that relates to a lot of women these days. I think that women get a dream guy pictured in their heads and they can not wait for the day that they get to be with him everyday, and they think that life is going to be perfect with this guy. They want to be with him all the time, and when they are with them the rest of their life just stops. I think that some people find this kind of guy, but not all women do. I think it is normal to be like this, and it is nice to see this poem and see that a women struggles with this too. I like when you can read a poem that relates to your life and the things that you go through in it. This poem was a good choice, and I think Dickinson did good with this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment