Thursday, March 24, 2011

Journal #42- Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman??

So, we had to go back in time in this journal and pretend that we were in the time period of when Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman were writing their poems. After we were imagining the time period of their writings, we had to decide if we would rather of read Emily Dickinson's writings in that period or Walt Whitman's writings.

I think if I was alive during the time that Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman were writing, I would like to read Emily Dickinson's writings more. I think the Emily Dickinson has more relevance in my life than Walt Whitman. I think I can relate to some of her poems, and all of her poems have different meanings that I think a lot of teenagers can relate to. I like Emily Dickinson writes about love a lot, and I do not know why, but I love reading about love a lot. I think it is probably because I am a girl, and I like to hear about love stories..probably just a girl thing. <3 I also liked Emily Dickinson's writings, because she was just honest, and I do not think she was writing for anyone other than herself. She was just writing about her life, and what made her happy. Her poems were later titled and numbered after her death, so that shows you that she did not care if she became famous because of them. I also thought that it was cool how she did not title them, because she did not have to have a title, because she knew them in her heart and they had special meaning. I think she is just a good writer.

I think Emily Dickinson is kind of like a Taylor Swift, because each of her poems were different events that went on in her life. I mean I know Emily Dickinson was not a singer/ songwriter, but she had some great hidden meanings in her poems, like that of Taylor Swift, and I love Taylor Swift. They also both talk about love a lot. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment