Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Journal #39- Whitman- Everyman America in Bardic Symbols

You can guess what Walt Whitman's poems are going to be about before you even start to read them. So far, the poems that I have heard or read about by Walt Whitman are about self and there is usually also ties to religion too. I think that that would get boring after awhile, and I do not think that I could continue to right about the same things. Whitman has done pretty good at it though, and most of his writings are actually pretty good. This poem called Bardic Symbols is one that was still the same, but one that was very confusing. Whitman says in this story that he does not think that he will ever really know what society means or what this world means, which I think is weird, because he was always talking about things he knew and how he was so smarts. So, surely he has to know what this is too.

I think that when the poem talks about the ocean he is trying to represent his mom. He was showing family and love and self here. I also thought that what he meant by dirty twigs was children because as a child we are dirty and we do not have God in our lives yet, and we are not as important when we are young. Children roles have changed from the time that he wrote this till now. Children have more roles now- a- days, where in this time children were just to be seen and not heard as the saying says.

Another line that showed us a lot of symbols was when he talked about his father kissing him. I think what he was trying to show us here was religion. I think the father was God, the holy spirit, and he was touching him, not necessarily kissing him. I think that he was a big believer in God, and we could pick out a lot of religion details in this story. He had a lot of things that took on the personification of God, or the trinity all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment