Monday, February 28, 2011

Whitman Reflection

I found a poem called Excelsior by Whitman, and decided that I was going to read it. I thought it was a very interesting poem, and one that kept me interested the whole time. I found that I liked this poem a lot, because it showed a lot of self confidence, which is something that we do not see or hear a lot about anymore these days. I think that Whitman was mainly trying to show his self confidence so that others would want to be like that too. He was trying to show us that we should not give up, and eventually it will all work out for the better for us. He wants us to know that we can succeed in the things we do, if we just put forth effort. I think this poem was good for me to read, because I need to realize that if I try to make things work and actually put forth a lot of effort, then things will get done and done nicely. I really enjoyed this poem.
I try to do my best in all that I do. Whether it is cheerleading, FFA, or showing pigs and cattle, I try to do my very best and give it my all through everything I do. I think think that the character in Whitman's poem was a very confident person, and really thought that they were the best. He was not afraid to show his confidence or talk about how great he was. He said in the poem how he is the most just, gone the farthest, been the most cautious, most happiest, lavished all, firmest, proudest, bold and true, benevolent, projected beautiful words through the longest time, received the love of the most friends, possesses a perfect and enamored body, has the amplest thoughts, and who has made hymns fit for the whole earth. I think that it is fine to think that you are good at things and brag on yourself every once in awhile, but I thought this was a little too much. Just by reading that one part you can really learn a lot about the character in the poem.
I think that everybody should have to read a poem like this. I think that some people need to gain confidence at times. I think there is a difference between being confident and just being a cocky, over confident person. I think that everyone should be a little confident at times, because we all have things in our life that we are good at that we should be proud of. I think we can all use Whitman as a good example and we should all try to be a little like him at times, just not to the extreme that he takes it to.
I enjoyed reading this, like I stated earlier, and I really got a lot from reading this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment