Monday, February 28, 2011

Journal #38- Whitman...again:(

We read As I Watch'd the Ploughman Ploughing by Whitman in class for our Journal #38.

AS I watch’d the ploughman ploughing,
Or the sower sowing in the fields—or the harvester harvesting,
I saw there too, O life and death, your analogies:
(Life, life is the tillage, and Death is the harvest according.)

After reading this poem, I could pick out things about God. Whitman was known to right about religious things, and I could pick out details in this writing that led me to believe that he was writing about God. I thought that the three words ploughman, sower, and harvester were all nouns that were describing God in my eyes. I think that God was the ploughman, sower, and harvestor. The ploughman version of God was when he started the earth and he got everything ready for the life of the world. The sower of God was the for of Jesus that was actually living on earth, and trying to lead people to him and continue the great works of the trinity. The harvestor of God is the end of the trinity that you see at the end of your life that determines if the way you lived your life was acceptable and he determines if you will be going to heaven or hell.

At the end of the poem when it talks about life is the tillage and death is the harvest according, also showed me another religious detail. I think that what he is trying to say here is depending on the way you live your life determines your harvest. Your harvest is the end of your life and whether or not you will be going to heaven or hell. If you had good tillage during your life and you did things according to God you will have a great harvest. If you were too have a bad tillage during your life, then you will not have a good harvest. I think that we should try to have good tillage and not have regrets or things we think God will not like, so that we can die with a great harvest that affected many people.

Whitman, Walt. "210. As I Watch’d the Ploughman Ploughing. Whitman, Walt. 1900. Leaves of Grass." Bartleby.com: Great Books Online -- Quotes, Poems, Novels, Classics and Hundreds More. Web. 28 Feb. 2011. .

No comments:

Post a Comment