Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sojourner Truth – And Ain‘t I a Woman?

And Ain't I a Woman was a speech delivered by Sojourner Truth in 1851 at the Women's Convention in Akron, Ohio (Truth). "Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman" (Truth). I think the author Sojourner Truth was just trying to let out her feelings in this speech, and let people know that women are just as good as men. She is a woman herself, and she can do the same work that men can do. I think she is almost saying her that she has done more than a man, she works hard and could take the lashings and she has born thirteen children. That many children is not easy by any means. Hearing that part of the speech by Sojourner Truth was very touching, and it is something that every girl has wanted to say at some point. Women always get the stereotype that we all need to stay at home, take care of the house, and keep track of children. I think that this shows realism. She was not afraid to just let out her real feelings, she wanted people to know that what was happening was not okay, and women needed to be treated just like men. "I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well" (Truth). Right here in the passage it shows us realism, because she is sharing with the people that she delivered this to what she went through everyday.

Of course, just like most writings in this time, it was based on slavery. I think that that is pretty understandable. Sojourner Truth had obviously been raised in a time where slavery was all around and a part of her life. "I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me" (Truth). I think that this statement really shows us realism right there. I think slavery really affected her life, and she wanted people to say that and really just be honest and share with them how it really feels like. I think the reason that she went on to work for the Underground Railroad, was because she did not want slavery to affect everyone else's life like it did hers. She really got her words across in a great way, and this poem was pretty moving to see a woman like that be able to say all of that.

I think Sojourner Truth had a lot of influence on people then. She wrote an amazing poem that moved a lot of people, not only women, and helped with the Underground Railroad. I think this realism writing was a great one, and one where the author, Sojourner Truth, was really able to deliver a great message. We have not been through what she had to go through, but we know that slavery was awful. I totally understand the reason she wrote a great speech like this.

Truth, Sojourner. ""AIN'T I A WOMAN?" BY SOJOURNER TRUTH." Feminist.com. Web. 15 Feb. 2011. .

No comments:

Post a Comment